Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Been busy and not posting... Sorry!!!

No recipes today. Just a simple method to make an incredible Steak dinner in an Italian style.

Made an excursion to Mazzaros (Italian Market) yesterday got some stuff and was inspired to create an Italian style steak dinner.

First up is a fine Strip steak. (aka. new york strip) I read or heard some time ago that a Tuscan style of grilling such a steak included grilling it, slicing thin, topping with Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Sea Salt and a nice squeeze of lemon.Whether this is authentic or not I am not sure. (If not Italians should jump on it and claim it for it is brilliantly good) I modified this by marinating the Steak in Olive oil, Salt (I found a nice Sicilian Sea Salt at the market), Black Pepper and fresh Rosemary. A fine cut of meat should not be drowned in heavy marinades. This simple marinade respects the meat and enhances it rather then overwhelm and cover.
Photobucket

Once ready I got the veggies prepped. A couple good tomatoes, a bunch of scallions and a few chiles. I also had a nice Pugliese loaf. I sliced this on the bias. Brushed with oil and grilled. Once it was finished I moved the bread to the warming rack and topped with a slice of Lardo. This was my first time trying Lardo and I am in love.
Photobucket

All that remains is for the steak to be perfectly grilled. So far its looking righteous.
Photobucket

Loving the grill marks.
Photobucket

The completed plate. Finished the steak with a squeeze of grilled lemon and fantastic sea salt.
The tomatoes became part of a simple salad with fresh basil and chunks of a fresh mozzarella that had been made hours prior at Mazzaros. Incredible cheese!!!!!!!! A nice drizzle of Extra Virgin Olive Oil and some more sea salt.

Top with the other grilled veggies and bread. Dinner is served.
Photobucket

1 comment: