Sunday, January 10, 2010

Non Traditional Shepherds Pie

My chili from the previous blog was made with the intent of leftovers to be used in the manner described below.

Shepherds Pie! Not a traditional version but an excellent version none the less.
After the chili sat for a day (Doesn't it always taste better the next day?) I covered the bottom of a baking dish with a thick layer of the chili.

Photobucket

To it I added mashed Sweet Potatoes to completely cover the chili. The Sweet potatoes (5) were just boiled till tender, then mashed with a 1/2 stick of butter and a good splash of butter milk. A sprinkling of shredded Cheddar was added as well.
Photobucket

I baked at 350 for @45 minutes till I noticed some bubbling from the chili and the cheese was all melted. Then I turned the heat to 400 for 10-15 minutes till that bubbling was rapid. I finished the cooking with the broiler to get that nice golden brown crunchy cheesy topping Or GBD as my culinary instructors once called it. (Golden Brown & Delicious)

Photobucket

This was a very satisfying bowl of Shepherds Pie on a very cold Florida night. With it I served a Sam Adams Imperial Stout and dessert was a wonderful hot chocolate with a healthy splash of Irish Cream.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment